GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) - How the changes to data protection law will affect our members
From 25th May 2018, the way in which organisations hold electronic data about their members will change, as the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) comes into force. If you are happy for Hampstead Garden Suburb Horticultural Society to continue to hold the contact information you provided us with when you joined, and to receive regular email messages from us, we will assume that you wish to continue receiving them and you don't need to do anything.
We only use this data to operate the membership and activities of the society. We do not pass on your details to any third party. The membership details are held securely by the Membership Secretary, acting as data controller. However, if you do not want emails from us, please fill in the form below and press the opt-out button.
For further information, please see the society's Privacy Notice below. If at any time in the future you do want to have data removed and no longer want us to send you emails, tell the Membership Secretary, who will ensure that we comply with your wishes. Informing our members about our programme is a key function of the society, so we hope very much that you will want to continue to receive email messages from us. Thank you.
HAMPSTEAD GARDEN SUBURB HORTICULTURAL SOCIETY PRIVACY NOTICE
This Privacy Notice sets out how we use and protect any information that you give us when you become a member of Hampstead Garden Suburb Horticultural Society, use this website or accept newsletters or email messages from us. We are committed to ensuring that your privacy is protected. We may change this Privacy Notice occasionally, so you should check this web page from time to time to ensure that you are happy with any changes. Any changes will also be flagged up in our newsletters. This Privacy Notice is effective from 25th May 2018. If you are a member and do not have access to the internet, we will provide you with a paper copy of the Privacy Notice at your request.
1. Your personal data - what is it?
Personal data relates to a living individual who can be identified from that data. Identification can be by the information alone or in conjunction with any other information in the data controller's possession or likely to come into such possession. The processing of personal data is governed by the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). The processing of data held on a child under the age of 16 requires parental consent.
2. Who are we?
Hampstead Garden Suburb Horticultural Society (HGS Horticultural Society) is the data controller. This means it decides how your personal data is processed and for what purposes.
3. How do we process your personal data?
HGS Horticultural Society complies with its obligations under the GDPR by keeping personal data up to date, by storing and destroying it securely, by not collecting or retaining excessive amounts of data, by protecting personal data from loss, misuse, unauthorised access and disclosure and by ensuring that appropriate technical measures are in place to protect personal data.
4. What do we process?
We may process your name, address, email address, telephone number, photographs, records of any awards, certificates, competitions, or cups won, received or held, bookings for outings or other events that require bookings. We may also process any complaint, comment or exceptional dealing you may have with us. We hold records of payments or donations made by you or payments or donations made to you. If you make payments to us electronically, we will have details of these payments on our bank statements.
5. We use your personal data for the following purposes:
- to manage membership records
- to distribute membership cards, handbooks, newsletters and electronic information such as email or text about the society and events which we may arrange either independently or with third parties
- to promote horticultural activities in general
- to support our committee members and other volunteer helpers
- to maintain our accounts and records
- to inform you of news, events, activities that might be relevant to you as a member of a horticultural society or as part of the local community of Hampstead Garden Suburb and its environs.
6. How long do we keep your personal data?
We keep data relating to membership for up to 6 years.
7. Your rights and your personal data
Unless subject to an exemption under the GDPR, you have the following rights with respect to your personal data:
- the right to request a copy of your personal data which HGS Horticultural Society holds about you
- the right to request that HGS Horticultural Society corrects any personal data if it is found to be inaccurate or out of date
- the right to request that your personal data is erased where it is no longer necessary for HGS Horticultural Society to retain such data
- the right to withdraw your consent to the processing at any time
- the right to object to the processing of personal data
- the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner's Office.
8. Further processing
If we wish to change how we use your personal data, we will advise you and we will update this Privacy Notice to reflect any changes.
9. Contact details
If you have any concern or complaint about the way in which we handle or process your data, you have a right to complain to the Data Controller of HGS Horticultural Society:
The Membership Secretary, HGS Horticultural Society, 79 Church Lane, London N2 0TH. Tel: 020 8444 2329. Email: email@example.com.
You can also contact the Information Commissioner's Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire SK9 5AF. Tel: 0303 123 1131 Email: https://ico.org.uk/global/contact-us/email/.