Although the Institute was intended by Lutyens to be a continuous urban composition filling the east side of Central Square, it unfortunately took long to grow. A small part was completed in 1909, and the rest of the north wing following about two years later; but then, in order to accommodate the Henrietta Barnett school, Lutyens was forced, in place of his original design, to duplicate this wing to the south in 1924(?). Finally, years later, he joined the two wings with the tall central block with a pavilion roof and cupola which forms the third main accent of the Suburb's centre. He also sketched two further wings which would complete the Central Square frontage on each side as far as Northway and Southway.
As these were never built, there is now an ugly gap on each side of the Institute, and there is also a large indeterminate slope of ground between the back of the Institute and the Henrietta Barnett Junior School, designed in Soutar's office by W T Powell in the bland official Georgian of the 'thirties, with a symmetrical frontage to Bigwood Road.