Denman Drive begins with a delightful group of cottages, probably all by Parker and Unwin, including two L-shaped terraces of brown brick, with big tile-on-edge arches and patterning in herring-bone brickwork. Originally it was intended to be a "gate", but after further land had been acquired from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, it was extended through to the new part of the Suburb, not shown on Unwin's plan of April 1911, but begun in 1913 by Oakwood Tenants Limited, with G L Sutcliffe as architect. Denman Drive divides in two before descending to Oakwood Road between Big Wood and Little Wood; there are fifty-six cottages, typical of Sutcliffe in the ordinariness of the detailing but the subtlety of their relationship to one another. The walls are of simple roughcast, enlivened by brick quoins and a brick plinth, with simple doors under bracketed hoods. The arrangement of the cottages in relation to the contours, sometimes dropping several feet below the surface of the road, is both precise and relaxed.
Oakwood Road, which extends from the end of Addison Way, at the point where it meets Falloden Way, flanks Big Wood with another subtle sequence of ordinary cottages by Sutcliffe, placed in the Unwin tradition, first forward and then back from the frontage. Particularly good is the symmetrical grouping on either side of the carriageway which runs out from Big Wood and then continues across the road as a pathway over the Mutton Brook to Falloden Way.