The south end of The Bishop's Avenue peters out architecturally as it reaches Hampstead Lane opposite the gates to Ken Wood. Hampstead Lane itself runs steeply up to the Spaniards Inn. Both the public house and the equally famous toll house lie just within the Borough of Barnet and the Conservation Area. As austere examples of whitewashed brickwork in the seventeenth and eighteenth century vernacular, they are, with Wyldes Farm, the local prototypes of sensible building from which Parker and Unwin were able to draw inspiration.
Below the inn, and well placed below the level of Hampstead Lane, are the three grand neo-Georgian houses of Ken Wood Close, designed in Soutar's office by W T Powell as late as 1936. They show unusual faithfulness to Lutyens's values in their two-coloured brickwork and well-detailed white mouldings. In Ingram Avenue, which connects Winnington Road to Wildwood Road there is a sequence of big neo-Georgian houses, mostly also by Powell for Soutar,
Spaniards Close of 1932, also by Powell for Soutar, has a pleasant shape, with its steep rise up the hill to a dominant symmetrical house at the top (Spaniard's House). 16 Ingram Avenue stands out for the real panache of its composition. It is in fact a hitherto unrecorded design by Sir Edwin Lutyens himself, done privately for his patron and friend Reginald McKenna as a wedding present for McKenna's son. The five-bay front, in the same grey and red mixture as the houses around Central Square, has two fine red brick niches at first floor level and two projecting single-storey wings with hipped roofs, neatly defining the forecourt.