Southway, Middleway, Northway
  back start next
Because the land was not part of the original Eton College estate and was made available by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners only in 1912, the three avenues radiating eastwards from Central Square do not appear on Unwin's plan of April, 1911 but they, and Kingsley Way across their eastern end, are shown on a map of May 1913, so Unwin was evidently responsible for their layout. The detailed layout by Professor Hector Corfiato and C G Butler in 1923 immediately preceded the buildings (apart from the small group of early houses, numbers 6-16, at the top of Southway, at first regarded as part of Bigwood Road).

First there were some special buildings to complete the central precinct, including the unfinished additions to the Institute and the erection of the Junior School. At the top of Northway, next to the Friends' Meeting House, Soutar designed the Tea House, in a modified version of the Parker and Unwin (or rather, Charles Wade) style with clipped brick gables. Next to it is the Free Church Hall, a lively design by Edward Meredith in a surprisingly Edwardian style, derived from Norman Shaw or Sir Ernest George (Particularly the little polygonal oriel on brackets). Round the corner in Bigwood Road, facing the Junior School, are the three-sided courtyards of Bigwood and Southwood Courts, designed as early as 1917 by Soutar.

Between the two courts runs Middleway, and to each side, Northway and Southway radiate in long straight avenues towards the Al. James designed an excellent pair of houses, numbers 30-32 Southway, which can be taken as a standard against which to judge the others. The pale purplish brick is ornamented only by brick-on-edge string courses and parapets, with pantiled roofs and tall chimneys deriving from Lutyens (in whose office James had worked), and a strip of black weatherboarding across the first-floor centre.

Hubert Lidbetter's 20 Middleway is in a rather similar style, but with attractive personal touches in the round-headed doorway and carefully modelled chimney stacks. Lidbetter was also nominally the architect for 15 Thornton Way (between Middleway and Southway) which is quintessentially 'twenties in its unusual but extremely pretty exaggeration of the contrast between an enormous purple chimney stack and a small-scale patterning of random bricks spattered on pure white walls. It derives partly from ideas of the American farmhouse (as in a later black weatherboarded gable at the back). Probably Lidbetter's assistant R Scott Cockrill was largely responsible for the design, as he had done similar brick patterned houses when in practice on his own in Suffolk before 1914.

Number 26 Southway is another good house, designed for himself (c 1927) by A H Moberly, of Slater and Moberly. The projecting porch bay is carefully detailed in brick, with a mullioned and pedimented window over a round-arched doorway. Between the three avenues at the bottom, off Litchfield Way, are two more culs-de-sac, Sutcliffe Close (1926 by J W Binge) being typical of the teahouse Tudor into which the Suburb changed. Brunner Close is C M Crickmer's most distinguished postwar work (1924). It has restrained semi-detached houses with white walls and white gables, with doorways surprisingly framed by a Georgian bolection moulding.

If you arrived at this page via a search engine you can load the surrounding frame by clicking Find my Frame
  back start next